BUET VC meets agitating students, asks to wait
Over 50 hours after the killing incident of Abrar Fahad, a student of Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET), its Vice-Chancellor Professor Saiful Islam has met the agitating students who sit-in in front of his office on the campus on Tuesday evening.
The VC came out of his office at 6pm and faced off the protesting students. At that time, the students wanted to know where he has been for so long after the gruesome killing.
At one point, the VC wanted to talk to the students using mike. At the beginning of the speech, he said that Abrar had died. Then the students started shouting that it was not death, it was a murder. Then, he said alright, the murder happened.
The VC continued as saying, "Since the incident, I have been working tirelessly. I have taken the highest measures. I have issued press release in this regard. I have sat with 4-5 persons to talk over the issue. All matters are not in my hands. I am doing what I have in my hands. In principle, I am giving you full support to your demands. I have spoken to the Minister throughout the day. You will not be impatient."
At that time, the students demanded VC not to leave campus without solving their demands.
"I have not done anything wrong," he said at the time. The students then chanted slogans against Vice-Chancellor Prof Saiful Islam terming him fake. Till filing of this report at 7pm, the students were staying in front of the VC's office.
Earlier in the afternoon, the agitating students confined BUET VC in his office as he did not meet the protesters within the deadline the students set for him for meeting.
They were staging demonstration there after locking the VC office. They also locked the main entrance of the university in the afternoon.
The general students of BUET have been staging demonstration on the campus for the second consecutive day, demanding capital punishment for the killers of their fellow student Abrar Fahad.
The protesters placed a seven-point demand. The demands include:
1. Ensuring highest punishment of the killers.
2. Expulsion of the identified killers from the university within 72 hours.
3. Settlement of the cases through a speedy tribunal within the shortest possible time, ensuring justice.
4. VC's presence on the campus within 5pm on Tuesday and his explanation about his absence for over 30 hours. Explanation from Directorate of Students Welfare (DSW) of BUET chief on why he fled away from the crime spot after the incident and otherwise, non-stop movement since Wednesday.
5. Expulsion of students involved with physical and mental torture in the name of ragging at residential halls by October 11.
6. Withdraw Provost of Sher-e-Bangla Hall by 5pm on October 11.
7. Providing compensation and bearing all legal expenses for Abrar’s family by BUET authorities.
The students also demanded banning student politics on the campus.
Chawkbazar Police recovered the body of Abrar Fahad from the staircase of Sher-e-Bangla Hall of BUET at around 3am on Monday.
Several leaders of BUET unit of Bangladesh Chhatra League allegedly took Abrar from his room and beat him severely until death at Room No. 2011 of the hall at night.