People found dead in lorry were all Vietnamese

Published: 02 Nov 2019 | Updated: 03 Nov 2019   

Online Desk

All 39 people found dead in a refrigerated lorry in Essex were Vietnamese nationals, police have said.

The victims were found in a container on an industrial estate last week and were initially thought to be Chinese. But Essex Police said it was now in "direct contact with a number of families in Vietnam and the UK" and the Vietnamese government, reports BBC.

A number of Vietnamese families have previously come forward fearing their loved ones are among the dead. Pham Thi Tra My, 26, sent her family a message on Tuesday night, saying her "trip to a foreign land has failed". 

Post-mortem examinations are being carried out on the 31 men and eight women to establish the cause of death.

Assistant Chief Constable Tim Smith said: "At this time, we believe the victims are Vietnamese nationals, and we are in contact with the Vietnamese Government."

He said police were not in a position to identify any of the victims.

The Vietnamese Embassy in London said it was "deeply saddened" and sent its "heartfelt condolences" to the families of the victims.

"Specific identities of the victims still need to be identified and confirmed by the relevant authorities of Vietnam and UK," it said.

It said would "closely co-ordinate with the relevant authorities of Vietnam and UK to support the families of the Vietnamese victims, if any, to bring their loved ones home".

The father of 30-year-old Le Van Ha, who comes from an agricultural part of Vietnam, previously told the BBC he was convinced his son was among the dead.

VietHome, a popular Vietnamese community forum in the UK, said it had passed on the pictures of almost 20 people who have been reported missing to detectives.

Earlier, police in Vietnam's Ha Tinh province said they had charged two unnamed people with "organising or brokering illegal immigration".

The driver of the lorry, Maurice Robinson, from Northern Ireland, appeared in court on Monday charged with a string of offences, including 39 counts of manslaughter.

Extradition proceedings have also begun against 22-year-old Eamonn Harrison, who was arrested in Dubin on a European Arrest Warrant.

Police are also seeking two brothers from Northern Ireland, Ronan and Christopher Hughes, who are wanted on suspicion of manslaughter and people trafficking.


ACC files charge sheet against Sinha, 10 others

ACC files charge sheet against Sinha, 10 others

The Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) has filed charge sheet in a ...

Chelsea hold on to qualify for last 16

Chelsea hold on to qualify for last 16

Chelsea survived a late scare to move into the Champions ...

US tightens sanctions on Myanmar army chief

US tightens sanctions on Myanmar army chief

The United States on Tuesday stiffened sanctions against Myanmar’s army ...

BCS 40th written test begins Jan 4

BCS 40th written test begins Jan 4

The written test for 40th Bangladesh Civil Service (BCS) will be ...

Rohingya call for Myanmar's Suu Kyi to acknowledge atrocities

Rohingya call for Myanmar's Suu Kyi to acknowledge atrocities

From squalid refugee camps in Bangladesh, Rohingya who fled a ...

‘Only justice can heal our wounds’

‘Only justice can heal our wounds’

Rohingyas demand Myanmar be held to account at the United ...

Use Joy Bangla in state programmes: HC

Use Joy Bangla in state programmes: HC

The High Court (HC) has opined that ‘Joy Bangla’ should ...

Timeline: Rohingya crisis

Timeline: Rohingya crisis

Here is a timeline of key events in the Rohingya ...